Croatian & Yugoslav Aviation History
Even though aviation history had always figured in my posts in one way or another, ever since late 2013 I’ve started devoting much of my Achtung, Skyhawk! time to covering – in some depth – a range of aeronautical topics from both Croatia’s and Yugoslavia’s near past. All of these works – some of which had exceeded by diploma thesis in length! 😀 – have included a fair amount of my own original research, often in the form of “picking the brains” of the people directly involved, as well as collecting and collating data from local official sources (such as various ex-Yugoslav CAAs, operators and aircraft manufacturers).
Aiming to provide an accurate as possible account of the aircraft and organizations involved – all while keeping politics very firmly at bay – these works have so far shown themselves to be popular with my readers, prompting me to collect them in one place for easy access. Dealing with topics from the 50s all the way into the 90s, they will hopefully add their small bit to preserving the region’s rich, interesting – but often undervalued – aviation heritage…
- NEW 2+2: The Four Seat UTVA 75 – review of the world’s sole remaining four seater UTVA U-75 trainer nowadays at Novo Mesto Airfield (LJNM)
- Aermacchi-Lockheed AL-60B-2 Santa Maria YU-BCZ – review of YU-BCZ undergoing slow restoration at Lisičji jarak Airfield (LYBJ)
- Calm Dog: MD-82 S5-ACC at Maribor – review of former Air Adriatic MD-82 preserved at Maribor Airport (MBX/LJMB)
- Cold Case: The Last Flight of Dakota YU-ABC – partial review of YU-ABC’s fatal CFIT accident in Zagreb in September 1950
- Smoke & No Mirrors: MD-82 9A-CBG at Rijeka – former Air Adriatic MD-82 turned fire trainer at Rijeka Airport (RJK/LDRI)
- The Yugoslav Czech: Let L-200 Morava at LDZA – review of a Yugoslav-assembled L-200D displayed at Zagreb Airport (ZAG/LDZA) since the early 80s.
- Where Eurocopters Don’t Roam – historical review of Eurocopter types operated in Croatia
Military and government aircraft:
- The Wizard of Kranj: YuAF Aircraft Restored – museum restorations of the S.106 (Czech MiG-21F-13), IF-86D, F-84G & Gazelle in Yugoslav Air Force colors
Airlines and operations:
- Props are Turning: Croatia Airlines’ GA beginnings – a comprehensive review of Croatia Airlines’ earliest beginnings and passenger & freight operations with Cessna twins
- Ye Olde ZAG: 80s LDZA Airport Charts – a set of Jeppesen charts of Zagreb (ZAG/LDZA) from the early 80s